Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Herbivore No More!

Not to say that I may not some day enjoy cilantro or other such herbs....but I am no longer of the Herbivore species. I still have a fondness for sweet potatoes but I'll stand for a little Turkey in the mix. I like to keep the parents guessing so I've decided that every time I take a bite of this new stuff I will squint my eyes so tightly that they aren't really open. You should see their faces! They're all "That's hilarious! I wonder why she does that. She's so funny and cute". Wrapped around my little finger, those two are.

And one more thing. Why is Herb (as in the edible type, not the bad name variety)pronounced with a silent "h" but Herbivore is pronounced with the "h"?
Hmmmm....I'll give $5 to the person who can answer that first.
And if no one can answer it then I will forever insist on calling anyone named Herb or Herbert by "erb" because, well, why not.

1 comment:

Josh said...

You can blame the French. In the 16th century they spelled (and therefor pronounced) the word "erb". By the time the 19th century rolled around the "h" had been added but the stubborn French stuck to their pronunciation and the American's copied. The British, being much more literal people, pronounced "herb", "herbal", "herbicide" and "herbivore" with the "h" because that's how it's spelled.

You know where I live; you can make the check out to "cash".

Hosh